-   -   How do I preserve cell content when saving an excel file in csv (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/96876-how-do-i-preserve-cell-content-when-saving-excel-file-csv.html)

beachwurm

How do I preserve cell content when saving an excel file in csv

I am saving an excel spreadsheet in a Comma Delimited format. And when I do
it changes some cell information. Specifically I have a column of ID numbers
"00200030" that is changed to "200030". Is there any way to preserve the
"00" prefix in the csv format?

Gary''s Student

How do I preserve cell content when saving an excel file in csv

The trick is not in saving, its in re-opening:

Let's say you format A1 as Text and enter 01 in it. Save as .csv and exit
Excel. Right-click the .csv file and open with NotePad and you will see the
leading zero. If you re-open the .csv file with Excel, it will discard that
leading zero. So:

Once you have created the .csv, re-name it to .txt

If you tell Excel to open a .txt file, it will display the Import Wizard.
You can tell the Wizard that the field is text.
--
Gary's Student