Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
VSB

Default How do I keep a check box associated with one cell?

I inserted check boxes in an excel spreadsheet, but everytime I insert or
delete a row the check boxes move and are no longer associated with the
correct rows. I have format controls and under the properties tab, but the
option move and size with cell is shaded and will not let me select it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could use a checkbox from the control toolbox toolbar to get that
"move and size" option.

But what should happen when you delete a row with a checkbox on it?

You may want to dump the checkbox completely and just use a plain old cell
that's formatted to look like a checkmark.

I find this technique pretty easy...

Select the range
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

And since this is just data, it'll delete and move nicely.

--

Dave Peterson