-   -   how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/96080-how-do-i-get-current-time-using-%3Dtoday-instead-12-00-am.html)

Keith

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
Thanks.
Keith

Marcelo

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

Hi Keith

use =Now() and format as mm/dd/aaaa hh:mm

HTH
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Keith" escreveu:

In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
Thanks.
Keith

Toppers

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

use =NOW()??!!!

"Keith" wrote:

In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
Thanks.
Keith

Bearacade

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

You can't.

Today returns the date, not the time.

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=555679

Keith

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

Sorry, I should have stated that I wish the time and date to remain static,
never changing.

"Keith" escreveu:

In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
Thanks.
Keith

Keith

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

I want the date and time to be static. =NOW( ) changes everytime I open the
worksheet.

"Toppers" wrote:

use =NOW()??!!!

"Keith" wrote:

In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
Thanks.
Keith

Keith

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

OK. Thanks.

"Bearacade" wrote:

You can't.

Today returns the date, not the time.

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=555679

Toppers

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

Keith,
If you want a static date/time you will need to use VBA to
assign NOW() to your required cell(s).

What event determines if/when the date/time changes (as opposed to everytime
the w/book is opened)?

"Keith" wrote:

I want the date and time to be static. =NOW( ) changes everytime I open the
worksheet.

"Toppers" wrote:

use =NOW()??!!!

"Keith" wrote:

In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
Thanks.
Keith

Marcelo

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

Hi Keith, what about to use =now() copy and past special values?

HTH
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Keith" escreveu:

OK. Thanks.

"Bearacade" wrote:

You can't.

Today returns the date, not the time.

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=555679

Gord Dibben

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

Keith

To enter a static date use CTRL + ;(semi-colon)

To enter static Now time use CTRL + SHIFT + ;(semi-colon)

To get both in same cell with space between CTRL + ;

Let go of CTRL and hit <space then CTRL + SHIFT + ;

Format to dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:30:03 -0700, Keith
wrote:

I want the date and time to be static. =NOW( ) changes everytime I open the
worksheet.

"Toppers" wrote:

use =NOW()??!!!

"Keith" wrote:

In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
Thanks.
Keith

Keith

how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

Got it worked out using a user defined function in visual basic.

Thanks for the assistance.

Keith