-   -   How do I find the next higher number in a sequence? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/95775-how-do-i-find-next-higher-number-sequence.html)

CasaJay

How do I find the next higher number in a sequence?

This should be easy, but I'm stumped (relatively new user). I have a column
of sequential numbers (except that the last numbers are 0) and I want to
select the next highest number in that range.

Ragdyer

How do I find the next higher number in a sequence?

If I understand what you're asking, does this work for you:

=MAX(A:A)+1

--
HTH,

RD

"CasaJay" wrote in message
This should be easy, but I'm stumped (relatively new user). I have a
column
of sequential numbers (except that the last numbers are 0) and I want to
select the next highest number in that range.

CasaJay

How do I find the next higher number in a sequence?

Not really, but thank you for the response. That returns the highest value
in the range +1, but not the NEXT highest value, which is what I need. In
other words, if A1=1, A2=5, and A3=7 I'm looking for the value in A2.

"CasaJay" wrote in message
This should be easy, but I'm stumped (relatively new user). I have a
column
of sequential numbers (except that the last numbers are 0) and I want to
select the next highest number in that range.

CasaJay

How do I find the next higher number in a sequence?

And also, I agree that I posed my question incorrectly... more specifically,
if forinstance B1=A1, then I want to return the next highest value, meaning
the value in A2, since my numbers are sequential (with the exception being
that the last numbers can be 0).

"CasaJay" wrote in message
This should be easy, but I'm stumped (relatively new user). I have a
column
of sequential numbers (except that the last numbers are 0) and I want to
select the next highest number in that range.

SimonCC

How do I find the next higher number in a sequence?

Try:
=IF(B1=A1,LARGE(A:A,2),"")

-Simon