-   -   converting Month name to a number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/93715-converting-month-name-number.html)

runsrealfast

converting Month name to a number

I would like to convert a column that holds the name of a month
(January, February, etc) into a number (1, 2). Is there an easy way to
do this, you can't do enough if statemnts to do that. any suggestions?

Dave Peterson

converting Month name to a number

How about:

=MONTH(DATEVALUE(A1&" 1"))

Where A1 holds that month string.

--

Dave Peterson

Bob Phillips

converting Month name to a number

=MONTH(DATEVALUE("01-"&A21))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"runsrealfast" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to convert a column that holds the name of a month
(January, February, etc) into a number (1, 2). Is there an easy way to
do this, you can't do enough if statemnts to do that. any suggestions?

Toppers

converting Month name to a number

If colomn A has month then try:

=MONTH(DATEVALUE("01/" & A1 & "/2006")) and copy down

HTH