Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dogbert

Default Recognition of Binary Prefix Numerical Format

Dear forum users,

There is a problem I wonder if you could help me with. Perhaps it is a
simple matter but I have been unable to find the answer.

Large numbers are commonly abbreviated with binary prefixes, especially
in finance. By binary prefix, I am referring to the use of a single
letter to represent the order of magnitude of a number. For instance
"K" represents a thousand, and "M" denotes a million. e.g. The
population of the US is around 300M (or 0.3B).

So when I have a column of numbers such as "... 8000; 9000; 10K;
11K...", I want Excel to convert or recognise the value of "K". At the
moment, Excel is just treating this as text. Does anyone know how to do
this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

--
Dogbert