-   -   A letter in a circle (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/93452-letter-circle.html)

Rob

A letter in a circle

I am trying to add a letter into a cell and the letter needs a circle around
it as if marking it on a printed form (E.G marking off the days you eat out;
M T W T F S S). I have tried making a jpeg image but it needs to be as text
or a symbol so it can be mail merged. Any suggestioned would bw helpful.
Thanks
--
Rob

A letter in a circle

Hi

I would use the drawing toolbar (from View/Toolbars) and create an autoshape
circle.

Hope this helps.
Andy.

"Rob" wrote in message
I am trying to add a letter into a cell and the letter needs a circle
around
it as if marking it on a printed form (E.G marking off the days you eat
out;
M T W T F S S). I have tried making a jpeg image but it needs to be as
text
or a symbol so it can be mail merged. Any suggestioned would bw helpful.
Thanks
--
Rob

Paul Lautman

A letter in a circle

Rob wrote:
I am trying to add a letter into a cell and the letter needs a circle
around it as if marking it on a printed form (E.G marking off the
days you eat out; M T W T F S S). I have tried making a jpeg image
but it needs to be as text or a symbol so it can be mail merged. Any
suggestioned would bw helpful. Thanks

How about using the drawing tool to draw a circle around the letter and make
the drawing transparent?

Gary''s Student

A letter in a circle

Circled letters are available in unicode. In column A put:
9398
9399
9400
9401
9402
9403
9404
9405
9406
9407
9408
9409
9410
9411
9412
9413
9414
9415
9416
9417
9418
9419
9420
9421
9422
9423

In B1 put:
=uni(A1) and copy down

Here is the code for uni():

Function uni(r As Range) As String
Dim i As Integer
Dim s As String
i = r.Value
s = ChrW(i)
uni = s
End Function

--
Gary''s Student

"Rob" wrote:

I am trying to add a letter into a cell and the letter needs a circle around
it as if marking it on a printed form (E.G marking off the days you eat out;
M T W T F S S). I have tried making a jpeg image but it needs to be as text
or a symbol so it can be mail merged. Any suggestioned would bw helpful.
Thanks
--
Rob

David

A letter in a circle

With interest above need, I tried this and got boxes until I changed font
to Arial Unicode MS. Something the unwary might miss.

--
David

?B?R2FyeScncyBTdHVkZW50?= wrote

[...]

Thank you David, I'll remember to mention this in the future (or perhaps put
a comment in the code itself).

Unfortunately a function can't change the format of the cell in which it
resides.
--
Gary's Student

"David" wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben

A letter in a circle

GS

I get the circled letters with just about any font I set.

Just for info.

Gord

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:23:01 -0700, Gary''s Student
wrote:

Thank you David, I'll remember to mention this in the future (or perhaps put
a comment in the code itself).

Unfortunately a function can't change the format of the cell in which it
resides.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP