-   -   Multi-line Formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/93383-multi-line-formatting.html)

gareth93

Multi-line Formatting

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows how to format a cell for multiline
values.

E.g. i have a cell formated with "d/m/yyyy". But if i hit Alt+Enter to
enter another line in the cell, can i format that text to "d/m/yyyy" as
well? I know i can just type in the value correctly, but i would like to
have it formatted.

Thanks.

--
gareth93
gareth93's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26578

Paul Lautman

Multi-line Formatting

gareth93 wrote:
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows how to format a cell for multiline
values.

E.g. i have a cell formated with "d/m/yyyy". But if i hit Alt+Enter to
enter another line in the cell, can i format that text to "d/m/yyyy"
as well? I know i can just type in the value correctly, but i would
like to have it formatted.

Thanks.

Use the TEXT() function

Dave Peterson

Multi-line Formatting

Number formatting works with numbers (and dates/times are just numbers).

As soon as you add the alt-enter, you've changed the value from a number to
text.

You could use Paul's suggestion by putting the date in a different cell (the row
above and hide the row???)

And use a formula like:

=text(a1,"d/m/yyyy")&char(10)&"whateverelseyouwanthere"

Make sure you have format|cells|alignment tab|wrap text checked.