-   -   Can I insert a cell reference into a block of text? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/93313-can-i-insert-cell-reference-into-block-text.html)

painterpat

Can I insert a cell reference into a block of text?

I need add several personalised statements a list of names. There are
several variations of each statement containing he/she, first name etc. The
results are then mailmerged with other standard information into a Word
document.

What I would like to do would be able to insert a cell reference for "First
Name" , "he/she" into the relevant place in each statement .

Any suggestions please?

bpeltzer

Can I insert a cell reference into a block of text?

I think you can do what you want with the TEXT function and concatenation
operator (&). Your formula would be something like
=A1 & " has been on the job for " & text(A2/365,"0.#") & " years."
This combines fixed text with variable data formatted to your specs.

"painterpat" wrote:

I need add several personalised statements a list of names. There are
several variations of each statement containing he/she, first name etc. The
results are then mailmerged with other standard information into a Word
document.

What I would like to do would be able to insert a cell reference for "First
Name" , "he/she" into the relevant place in each statement .

Any suggestions please?

paul

Can I insert a cell reference into a block of text?

what you are proposing is exactly what you can do in a "mailmerge"
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!