-   -   How do I replace an asterisk without replacing everything? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/93192-how-do-i-replace-asterisk-without-replacing-everything.html)

Trw

How do I replace an asterisk without replacing everything?

I have used an asterisk to replace blank cells in order to import into
another application (minitab). How do I undo this replacement without
replacing everthing else?

mrice

How do I replace an asterisk without replacing everything?

Use ~* in the replace dialog

--
mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=550483

SimonCC

How do I replace an asterisk without replacing everything?

If you don't have any asterisk in any of your original non-blank cells, you
can do Find and Replace again by using ~* in the Find what field. But if you
have asterisk in your original data, those would be replaced as well.

-Simon

"Trw" wrote:

I have used an asterisk to replace blank cells in order to import into
another application (minitab). How do I undo this replacement without
replacing everthing else?

Allllen

How do I replace an asterisk without replacing everything?

Use Edit Replace ~* with (blank)
--
Allllen

"Trw" wrote:

I have used an asterisk to replace blank cells in order to import into
another application (minitab). How do I undo this replacement without
replacing everthing else?

Gord Dibben

How do I replace an asterisk without replacing everything?

Use a tilde along with the asterisk in the "replace what" dialog box.

~* will replace just the asterisks.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP