-   -   VLookup and Sort difficulties (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/93129-vlookup-sort-difficulties.html)

kleivakat

VLookup and Sort difficulties

I have a column in a worksheet that uses vlookup function. The formula in my
first line is:

=VLOOKUP(I2,PRODUCTLINE!$A$1:$C$540,3,FALSE)
....where I2 is the first cell that it references to match a value.

The next one logically is:
=VLOOKUP(I3,PRODUCTLINE!$A$1:$C$540,3,FALSE)
....where I3 is the cell that the next line references.

So now I have my spreadsheet with all the PRODUCTLINE cells filled in
correctly and I'd like to sort by Product Line. But when I do a datasort, it
takes me back to the original order because it's sorting on the formula
above, not the resulting Product Line verbiage.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

KK

excelent

VLookup and Sort difficulties

try copy ur vlookup-values to another column pasted as value
then u can sort on that new column