-   -   Making Excel's open command work like Word (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/92747-making-excels-open-command-work-like-word.html)

280Z28

Making Excel's open command work like Word

Using the new Office 2007.

The only way to get excel to open new windows is to start another copy of
excel through the start menu and then open the document in there. I want
excel to behave like word, and ALWAYS create a new window when a new sheet is
opened, whether the document is opened through the office button in Excel or
through Windows Explorer. The default behavior is immensely frustrating for a
multi-monitor setup.

Jim Rech

Making Excel's open command work like Word

There is no way to make Excel behave like Word in this regard. They are
fundlementally different. The best you can do is to create different
instances for each workbook but then you lose some functionality like
copying formulas between instances..

--
Jim
"280Z28" wrote in message
| Using the new Office 2007.
|
| The only way to get excel to open new windows is to start another copy of
| excel through the start menu and then open the document in there. I want
| excel to behave like word, and ALWAYS create a new window when a new sheet
is
| opened, whether the document is opened through the office button in Excel
or
| through Windows Explorer. The default behavior is immensely frustrating
for a
| multi-monitor setup.

[email protected]

Making Excel's open command work like Word

I'm not sure about this, but the way I've seen it work is that if the
file that is currently open within Excel is maximized (not the excel
window, but the file window within excel) and you open a new/existing
file, then the file will come up in a new Excel window. If the file
is minimized within Excel then opening a new/existing file will only
bring up a new file window. Hope this works for you.
Regards,
Jay