Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shakey1181

Default Sumproduct Query

I am using the following formula to reference another file and count the
number of entries in the array:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Z:\2006\06''06\[01.06.06.XLS]delays & pax'!$E$7:$E$270))

the above is returning 20, which is a count of the size of the array rather
than the number of entries greater than zero. I have used a similar formula
on the same sheet and it's working perfectly, but however I alter the above,
it only ever returns 20.

Any Ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Blanks (as opposed to null) appear to count as 0 on my testing. Try 'Clear
Contents' on "blank" cells.

Or if there are no cells with 0 then:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER('[01.06.06.XLS]delays & pax'!$E$7:$E$27))

HTH

"shakey1181" wrote:

I am using the following formula to reference another file and count the
number of entries in the array:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Z:\2006\06''06\[01.06.06.XLS]delays & pax'!$E$7:$E$270))

the above is returning 20, which is a count of the size of the array rather
than the number of entries greater than zero. I have used a similar formula
on the same sheet and it's working perfectly, but however I alter the above,
it only ever returns 20.

Any Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

That should work okay. Do you get the problem with the workbook open,
closed, or both?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"shakey1181" wrote in message
I am using the following formula to reference another file and count the
number of entries in the array:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Z:\2006\06''06\[01.06.06.XLS]delays & pax'!$E$7:$E$270))

the above is returning 20, which is a count of the size of the array

rather
than the number of entries greater than zero. I have used a similar

formula
on the same sheet and it's working perfectly, but however I alter the

above,
it only ever returns 20.

Any Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Bob,
Any explanation for my experience i.e. blank (space) treated as
0? I would have expected these to be treated as 0.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

That should work okay. Do you get the problem with the workbook open,
closed, or both?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"shakey1181" wrote in message
I am using the following formula to reference another file and count the
number of entries in the array:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Z:\2006\06''06\[01.06.06.XLS]delays & pax'!$E$7:$E$270))

the above is returning 20, which is a count of the size of the array

rather
than the number of entries greater than zero. I have used a similar

formula
on the same sheet and it's working perfectly, but however I alter the

above,
it only ever returns 20.

Any Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

It treats any text as 0, even a simple =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A200)) will count
them. If you want to ignore, it has to be smarter, test for a number, or
length = 0.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

That should work okay. Do you get the problem with the workbook open,
closed, or both?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"shakey1181" wrote in message
I am using the following formula to reference another file and count

the
number of entries in the array:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Z:\2006\06''06\[01.06.06.XLS]delays &

pax'!$E$7:$E$270))

the above is returning 20, which is a count of the size of the array

rather
than the number of entries greater than zero. I have used a similar

formula
on the same sheet and it's working perfectly, but however I alter the

above,
it only ever returns 20.

Any Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shakey1181

I still can't get this to work, using the ISNUMBER formula above, this is now
returning 0, even though the result should be 10. How do I test for a number?

Thanks

"Toppers" wrote:

Thanks Bob.