-   -   VLOOKUP *Left* Value (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/92165-vlookup-%2Aleft%2A-value.html)

jim

VLOOKUP *Left* Value

Is there a way to lookup a value in a column and return the
corresponding value in the *left* column? I'm familiar with VLOOKUP,
but didn't know if there's an alternative to re-ordering all of my
data.

Thanks for any insight.

Ardus Petus

VLOOKUP *Left* Value

Use INDEX/MATCH instead:
=INDEX(D1:D100,MATCH(A1,E1:100))

will search for A1 in E1:E100 and return corresonding value in column D

HTH
--
AP

"jim" a écrit dans le message de news:
Is there a way to lookup a value in a column and return the
corresponding value in the *left* column? I'm familiar with VLOOKUP,
but didn't know if there's an alternative to re-ordering all of my
data.

Thanks for any insight.

VLOOKUP *Left* Value

Hi

Have a look at using INDEX and MATCH together. I would suggest either Excel
Help or this newsgroup. Something like this format:
=INDEX(D12:D20,MATCH("f",E12:E20,0))

Andy.

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a way to lookup a value in a column and return the
corresponding value in the *left* column? I'm familiar with VLOOKUP,
but didn't know if there's an alternative to re-ordering all of my
data.

Thanks for any insight.

jim

VLOOKUP *Left* Value

I'll give these a try. Thanks folks.

Jim

Andy wrote:
Hi

Have a look at using INDEX and MATCH together. I would suggest either Excel
Help or this newsgroup. Something like this format:
=INDEX(D12:D20,MATCH("f",E12:E20,0))

Andy.

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a way to lookup a value in a column and return the
corresponding value in the *left* column? I'm familiar with VLOOKUP,
but didn't know if there's an alternative to re-ordering all of my
data.

Thanks for any insight.

CLR

VLOOKUP *Left* Value

Where your regular VLOOKUP table is in H1:I5, and your new list to the left
is in G1:G5, then put this in B1 to lookup any value in A1

=INDEX(G:G,MATCH(VLOOKUP(A1,H:H,1,FALSE),H:I,0))

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3