-   -   Text to rows? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/92030-text-rows.html)

laudrup

Text to rows?

Hi,

I have some comma delimited data that I have got in excel. There are 74
cells and in each cell there are several hundred comma delimited
numbers. I have tried to use the "Text to columns" option (under the
data menu) to get the comma delimited numbers into cells but if I do
this I lose the last bit of the data as there are more comma delimited
items in each cell than there are columns in the worksheet (only 256
columns in worksheet). What I need is a "Text to rows" option but I
can't find this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Laudrup

--
laudrup
laudrup's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32245

mrice

Text to rows?

This can be done by macro

Sub Test()
Open "C:\myCSVFile.csv" For Input As #1 'change as required
Do While Not EOF(1)
Line Input #1, FileLine
Counter = Counter + 1
X = Split(FileLine, ",")
For N = 0 To UBound(X)
Cells(N + 1, Counter) = X(N)
Next N
Loop
Close #1

mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=548235