-   -   LOOKUP Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/91411-lookup-question.html)

shakey1181

LOOKUP Question

When using V or H lookup, is there anyway to get the function to return the
reference for the second occurence of what it is looking for? So, I am
looking for the number 23, but it appears tiwce on the sheet and it is the
second one I need.

If that makes any sense, thanks in advance

Ardus Petus

LOOKUP Question

No way: H/VLOOKUP will always return the 1st occurence.

HTH
--
AP

"shakey1181" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...
When using V or H lookup, is there anyway to get the function to return
the
reference for the second occurence of what it is looking for? So, I am
looking for the number 23, but it appears tiwce on the sheet and it is the
second one I need.

If that makes any sense, thanks in advance

Paul Lautman

LOOKUP Question

shakey1181 wrote:
When using V or H lookup, is there anyway to get the function to
return the reference for the second occurence of what it is looking
for? So, I am looking for the number 23, but it appears tiwce on the
sheet and it is the second one I need.

If that makes any sense, thanks in advance

I suggest that you look back in this forum for a post called VLOOKUP SECOND
APPEARANCE.

In that thread Ardus suggests a solution and also there is a pointer to Chip
Pearson's Arbitrary Lookup

Roger Govier

LOOKUP Question

Hi

I came across a function written by JethroUK called JLOOKUP that will
allow you to pick up different occurrences of values in a Vlookup type
manner.
With Jlookup there is an optional additional parameter which permits you
to choose which occurrence to pickup.

The following link should take you to his original posting

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N38F6203D

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"shakey1181" wrote in message
When using V or H lookup, is there anyway to get the function to
return the
reference for the second occurence of what it is looking for? So, I am
looking for the number 23, but it appears tiwce on the sheet and it is
the
second one I need.

If that makes any sense, thanks in advance

Dave Peterson

LOOKUP Question

Maybe you can use the technique that Chip Pearson shares:
http://cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm

Look for Arbitrary Lookups