-   -   Why can't I merge 2 cells into one? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/91228-why-cant-i-merge-2-cells-into-one.html)

auntieboop

Why can't I merge 2 cells into one?

I highlight the row I want to merge together into one cell, formal,
alignment, merge cells. Isn't this correct? The error messge says will keep
the upper most only. Why?? I've done it before & don't understand why I can't
now. Also, isn't alt enter suppose to merge 2 lines into the same cell?

Thank you

Ron Coderre

Why can't I merge 2 cells into one?

1)Merging cells causes 2 or more cells to behave as one larger cell. Only
the contents of the upper left cell in the range will be retained. The
contents of the other cells will be lost...hence, the Excel warning.

2)You may be thinking of <edit<fill<justify, which spreads a
single-column, vertical range of cells so it fits within the selected range
of cells

3)[alt][enter] inserts a new line in text in a cell. It doesn't merge text
from any other cells.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"auntieboop" wrote:

I highlight the row I want to merge together into one cell, formal,
alignment, merge cells. Isn't this correct? The error messge says will keep
the upper most only. Why?? I've done it before & don't understand why I can't
now. Also, isn't alt enter suppose to merge 2 lines into the same cell?

Thank you

Dave Peterson

Why can't I merge 2 cells into one?

It sounds like you have a value in one of the other cells to be merged. So you
can either cancel the merge and review/fix your data, or you can just accept the
warning and continue the merge.

Alt-enter will force a new line within the cell--it doesn't actually do any
merging.

--

Dave Peterson