-   -   How to find and replace in Excel for special characters? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/90530-how-find-replace-excel-special-characters.html)

Jill

How to find and replace in Excel for special characters?

I have a special character that I cannot figure out how to replace. It is a
small square that was imported into Excel from an information system and
appears all over my cells. How do I get rid of it using find and replace?

RichardSchollar

How to find and replace in Excel for special characters?

Jill

Not sure you'll be able to do it using Find+Replace - it's a
non-printing character. You could remove it by using worksheet
function CLEAN ie:

=CLEAN(A1)

It might be a good idea to actually identify what type of NPC it is
(most probably a carriage return or a tab or new line feed) by using
the CODE function. You could then write a VBA routine to remove all
such characters from your sheet.

Regards

Richard

--