-   -   Updating Links on Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/89867-updating-links-excel.html)

Update Link Question

Updating Links on Excel

I have a spreadsheet that summarizes data from 300+ different workbooks.
Every month a new file is created and we need to update the summary with the
new month data. Is there a better way to update the links on the summarizing
spreadsheet? Currently, we need to edit links and update links for each
(300+) file name. The only thing that changes in the file names is the month.
Thanks!

Barb Reinhardt

Updating Links on Excel

Are you speaking about hyperlinks or a formula that directs the cell to get
data out of another file?

"Update Link Question" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that summarizes data from 300+ different workbooks.
Every month a new file is created and we need to update the summary with the
new month data. Is there a better way to update the links on the summarizing
spreadsheet? Currently, we need to edit links and update links for each
(300+) file name. The only thing that changes in the file names is the month.
Thanks!

Update Link Question

Updating Links on Excel

I'm speaking of a formula that directs the cell to get data out of another
file.

Thanks.

"Update Link Question" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that summarizes data from 300+ different workbooks.
Every month a new file is created and we need to update the summary with the
new month data. Is there a better way to update the links on the summarizing
spreadsheet? Currently, we need to edit links and update links for each
(300+) file name. The only thing that changes in the file names is the month.
Thanks!

Barb Reinhardt

Updating Links on Excel

You could do a global change for the information you want to change or you
could put the month into a cell and give it a name. Select the cell and then
INSERT - NAME - DEFINE and give it an appropriate name.

If in your cells, you have something that looks like this:

Y:\folder1\folder2\MONTH.xls
You could change it to include

"Y:\folder1\folder2\" & MONTH & ".xls"

I hope this helps you.

"Update Link Question" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that summarizes data from 300+ different workbooks.
Every month a new file is created and we need to update the summary with the
new month data. Is there a better way to update the links on the summarizing
spreadsheet? Currently, we need to edit links and update links for each
(300+) file name. The only thing that changes in the file names is the month.
Thanks!

Ardus Petus

Updating Links on Excel

Assuming your monthly data file names end with mm.xls (eg: 06.xls for june),
apply following macro:

HTH
--
AP

'----------------------------------------------
Sub NewMonth()
Dim sMonthId As String
Dim rDept As Range
Dim aLinks As Variant
Dim iLink As Integer
Dim sOldLink As String
Dim snewlink As String

sMonthId = Format(Range("A1").Value, "mm")
aLinks = ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
If Not IsEmpty(aLinks) Then
For iLink = LBound(aLinks) To UBound(aLinks)
sOldLink = aLinks(iLink)
snewlink = Application.Replace( _
sOldLink, _
InStrRev(sOldLink, ".") - 2, _