-   -   Sum of column (with word in) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/88986-sum-column-word.html)

ianonline

Sum of column (with word in)

Can anyone help with what I guess is simple but I'm stuck with!

I'm producing an invoice template. The postage is (thanks to brilliant
help provided to someone else on ExcelTip) now calculated automatically
and when the subtotal is over a certain value, then the postage cell
displays the word "FREE".

I am summing up J46 (subtotal) minus J47 (discount) + J48 (postage)

Now, Excel can't normally add up a column of numbers that includes a
word, but I expect there is a way around it. Do you know what it is?

Thank you for your help.

Ian

--
ianonline
ianonline's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34279

Biff

Sum of column (with word in)

Hi!

Try this:

=J46-J47+IF(J48="Free",0,J48)

Biff

"ianonline" wrote
in message ...

Can anyone help with what I guess is simple but I'm stuck with!

I'm producing an invoice template. The postage is (thanks to brilliant
help provided to someone else on ExcelTip) now calculated automatically
and when the subtotal is over a certain value, then the postage cell
displays the word "FREE".

I am summing up J46 (subtotal) minus J47 (discount) + J48 (postage)

Now, Excel can't normally add up a column of numbers that includes a
word, but I expect there is a way around it. Do you know what it is?

Thank you for your help.

Ian

--
ianonline
ianonline's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=542736

Dave Peterson

Sum of column (with word in)

A couple mo

=SUM(J46,-J47,J48)

=j46-j47+N(j48)

ianonline wrote:

[...]

That's fantastic and works well. I went with the third one where N
represents any word so that I can easily change the word in the postage
formula. thnaks again. :

Ian