-   -   Excel and Word will not open saved files (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/85019-excel-word-will-not-open-saved-files.html)

Flannagan

Excel and Word will not open saved files

I have scanned my computer and dealt with any viruses using MSN software and
, but when I attempt to open a seved spreadsheet or Word document my computer
freezes

Patricia Shannon

Excel and Word will not open saved files

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a-4b9fcf741916

This might be from a Windows update. See the above link.

"Flannagan" wrote:

I have scanned my computer and dealt with any viruses using MSN software and
, but when I attempt to open a seved spreadsheet or Word document my computer
freezes

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Excel and Word will not open saved files

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows
Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update
MS06-015".

If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry
yourself, then go to
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll
down to Item No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software -
Fix". Download and run the script to automatically modify your
registry as described in KB918165. You may need to temporarily
disable your antivirus program in order to run the script.

A revised version of the MS06-015 update was released on April 25
that supposedly interacts better with the older HP and nVidia
software. You can download the revised update from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx .

Some people may suggest that you uninstall the MS06-015 update,
or rename the c:\windows\system32\verclsid.exe file. Doing
either of these things will leave your computer vulnerable to the
security issue described at