-   -   Problems changing cell formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/84966-problems-changing-cell-formatting.html)

SteveB

Problems changing cell formatting

I have "inherited" a workbook used to generate budget documents. As part of
the book, there are several sheets that contain the formatted €śform€ť which
includes boxes or borders around certain cells. My problem is I cannot change
the format of these cells using the €śFormat:Cells€ť menu or the Ctrl+1
shortcut. I can however copy a format to these cells to change them.
Unfortunately, if I happen to copy something to the cell that is
€śdetrimental€ť to my formatting I play the devil getting the formatting
corrected. Another twist is I can change all of the formatting using toolbar
functions, except for the bordering. The only way I can change the bordering
is to copy another border format to the cell. What is €śwrong€ť with my
spreadsheet and how do I €ścorrect€ť it so I can manipulate the cell formatting?

E.Q.

Problems changing cell formatting

One simple question: is there anything configured in "Conditional
Formatting"? Also, does the file have some VBA that might change format? (OK
that's two questions...Sorry.)

"SteveB" wrote:

[...]

I don't think there is anything configured in "conditional formating" but I
can't say for sure, I'll do more digging. I'm not familar with conditional
formating but I would've thought that once conditional, always conditional
and I wouldn't be able to "override" by copying another format to the cell.

I hadn't thought of VBA, I'll check on that too!

THANKS!

"SteveB" wrote:

[...]

I find no "evidence" of VBA but I must confess, I really don't know how
to hunt for it!