-   -   Transpose? Offset? Variable starting cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/84962-transpose-offset-variable-starting-cell.html)

Fin Analyst

Transpose? Offset? Variable starting cell

Good afternoon~

I have scoured the discussion boards and my mind, but can't seem to figure
this one out. Any help would be much appreciated. OK, here is my problem.
I have a chart listing %s (C20:C34). These %s represent how much cost should
be allocted to month 1 through (at most, but could be less) month 15 of a
production period. The problem is the starting month for the cost is
variable, in cell D75. When the month number in D75 matches the month number
in the array H4:DW4 the costs should start based on the %s input in C20:C34,
ie. if the 1st month of production % (C20) is 10% and the costs don't start
until month 10 (in this array would be Q4) then I need in Q75 to show the
result of 10%*G75 (total cost). In R75 the resulting formula would be
C21*G75 and so on until you reach the end of the production month period.
I'm thinking some sort of combination of OFFSET and TRANSPOSE would be in
order, but I can't exactly figure out how to word the formula. Maybe it
would be helpful to first transpose the chart %s first and go from there?
Please help if you have any ideas. Hopefully I am explaining my dilemna
appropriately so others can understand my question. If you have any
questions about my problem please post so that I may answer. Let me help you
help me. ;)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jaclyn

Ardus Petus

Transpose? Offset? Variable starting cell

I'm not quite sure I understood your problem

Enter in H75 following formula, then copy right to DW75.
=IF(OR(COLUMN()-COLUMN($G75)<$D75,COLUMN()-COLUMN($G75)=$D75+ROWS($C$20:$C$
34)),"",$G75*OFFSET($C$20,COLUMN()-COLUMN($G75)-$D75,0))

HTH
--
AP

"Fin Analyst" a écrit dans le message
de ...
[...]

For not quite understanding the problem that formula looks like it did the
trick. Thank you so much! =)
(I keep forgetting about those row and column formulas.)

Jaclyn

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

[...]

I should also mention that I added an if/ then statement in case the
resulting production cost for the month is zero, ie if the production period
was less than the 15 months possible. Below is my final formula:

=IF(OR(COLUMN()-COLUMN($G60)<$D60,COLUMN()-COLUMN($G60)=$D60+ROWS($C$20:$C$34)),"",IF($G60*O FFSET($C$20,COLUMN()-COLUMN($G60)-$D60,0)=0,"",$G60*OFFSET($C$20,COLUMN()-COLUMN($G60)-$D60,0)))

Thanks again for your help! Because of this formula I was able to delete
over 1,000 hidden rows from our previous template. The previous person set
up the calculation the long way.

Jaclyn

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

[...]

I'm glad I could help!