-   -   Please help: Pivot Tables problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/84732-please-help-pivot-tables-problem.html)

James Yeang

Please help: Pivot Tables problem

Hi, calling out anyone who can help with pivot tables

Here's my scenario:
3 people are asked a few questions, where their responses can be
grouped as "Yes" or "No".

I need to be able to count the number of Yes and No responses to Q1,
Q2, Q3 in a pivot table and then be able to Zoom in by user...

eg. This is the sample data collected

Q1 Q2 Q3
Jimmy Yes No Yes
Jack No Yes Yes
Jill Yes No Yes

and this is how I want to pivot table to look like....

Page: Username (eg. All users)

Q1 Q2 Q3
Yes 2 1 3
No 1 2 0

Try as I may, I cannot get it to appear that way. Can anyone please
help me with the layout, or tell me what I need to be selecting?

Dave Peterson

Please help: Pivot Tables problem

I don't think I'd use a pivottable.

I'd just use a few formula:

Q1 Q2
Yes =countif(sheet1!b:b,a2) =countif(sheet1!c:c,a2) ....
No =countif(sheet1!b:b,a3) =countif(sheet1!c:c,a3) ....

Change the sheet name and column addresses accordingly.

--

Dave Peterson

Jim May

Please help: Pivot Tables problem

Dave:
Is a Pivot Table even possible?
I made a couple attempts at creating, but all failed..
Tks,
Jim May

James Yeang wrote:

[...]

I think you'd have to change your data (maybe use 1 for yes and 0 for know).
Then you could count/sum what you want.

But I don't think you'll get what you want.

It would be a lot easier if the data were laid out like:

Name Question Resp
Jimmy Q1 Yes (or 1)
Jimmy Q2 No (or 0)

James Yeang wrote:

[...]

[...]