-   -   strange problem: excel file does not open and background freezes i (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/84364-strange-problem-excel-file-does-not-open-background-freezes-i.html)

EdH

strange problem: excel file does not open and background freezes i

A strange thing started happening today. I cannoy open excel files (even a
test spreadsheet created for this purpose). When I click on the file, nothing
comes up, and the window where excel is open freezes. I can move the window
around with whatever background was there. Sometimes the background even
spreads like a wet painting.

Any clues?
Help is very welcome.

EdH

strange problem: excel file does not open and background freezes i

Correction: if I first open excel and then open the file, it opens properly.
However if I double click on the file is when the trouble begins. The excel
window that opens freezes.
Any help will be appreciated.
EdH

"EdH" wrote:

A strange thing started happening today. I cannoy open excel files (even a
test spreadsheet created for this purpose). When I click on the file, nothing
comes up, and the window where excel is open freezes. I can move the window
around with whatever background was there. Sometimes the background even
spreads like a wet painting.

Any clues?
Help is very welcome.

mc

strange problem: excel file does not open and background freezes i

did you update to kb908531 lately...if so see all the posts on the
windowsupdate group...
mc