Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Therese

Default OCR

Hi
I have an OCR-product, and it works all the way through till I'm asked which
kind of code I should use. It seems it really can't recognise the characters
in theTiff-document. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Or will anyone
briefly tell me from start to end how I import a Tiff to Word with OCR?
Thanks a lot.
--
Therese
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

I would've thought the .tif was the most oftened OCR document source,
being scanned or faxed documents.

Your OCR product should accept a .tif, but may require single page or
uncompressed format, you will need to check.
The .tif should OCR, and the usual output of an OCR is a Word
recognizable file. Have you tried a single page uncompressed format?

Which product are you using?

--

Therese Wrote:
Hi
I have an OCR-product, and it works all the way through till I'm asked
which
kind of code I should use. It seems it really can't recognise the
characters
in theTiff-document. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Or will
anyone
briefly tell me from start to end how I import a Tiff to Word with
OCR?
Thanks a lot.
--
Therese

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=534537

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Therese

Hi
Thanks, I think you were the one telling me about the OCR in the first
place.:-)
I downloaded a free version of "SimpleOCR". A single page uncompressed file,
does that mean a JPEG ? Or is that something different?

--
Therese

Therese Wrote:
Hi
I have an OCR-product, and it works all the way through till I'm asked
which
kind of code I should use. It seems it really can't recognise the
characters
in theTiff-document. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Or will
anyone
briefly tell me from start to end how I import a Tiff to Word with
OCR?
Thanks a lot.
--
Therese

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=534537

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

To me, an uncompressed image file would mean a BMP.

Bill
--------------------

Therese Wrote:
Hi
I have an OCR-product, and it works all the way through till I'm
asked
which
kind of code I should use. It seems it really can't recognise the
characters
in theTiff-document. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Or will
anyone
briefly tell me from start to end how I import a Tiff to Word with
OCR?
Thanks a lot.
--
Therese

--
Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Hi Bill,

.tif files can be in Huffman, Packbits, LZW, Group3, Group4 or
uncompressed format.

As most scanners that I have used have .tif as an output choice it is
the format I think of when a document is scanned, I prefer to stay away
from the .jpg forms which (to me) seem better suited to happy-snaps
rather than serious graphics, but that is just my preference.

My suggestion of 'single page uncompressed' meant simply one (only)
page as some products have difficulty dealing with multi-page files,
and Uncompressed meaning no special format such as Huffman etc., ie the
simplest form of document that could be fed to an OCR.

I will try the suggested OCR program to see what happens.

--

Therese Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Further,

I have run simpleOCR, selected Machine text, Add page (from file as I
have no scanner), Process - convert to text, Accepted suggestions, and
Saved file . Opened in MS Word.

Tried again with .jpg file.

Works fine for both.

Where did you get to with your OCR?

--

Bryan Hessey Wrote:
Hi Bill,

.tif files can be in Huffman, Packbits, LZW, Group3, Group4 or
uncompressed format.

As most scanners that I have used have .tif as an output choice it is
the format I think of when a document is scanned, I prefer to stay away
from the .jpg forms which (to me) seem better suited to happy-snaps
rather than serious graphics, but that is just my preference.

My suggestion of 'single page uncompressed' meant simply one (only)
page as some products have difficulty dealing with multi-page files,
and Uncompressed meaning no special format such as Huffman etc., ie the
simplest form of document that could be fed to an OCR.

I will try the suggested OCR program to see what happens.

Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=534537

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Therese

Hi both. Thansk for the answers. It works good now. If I hadn't met you
Bryan, I'd never known what OCR was.
But hey thanks :-)
--
Therese