-   -   Round up (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/83038-round-up.html)

rexmann

Round up

Hi all

Does anyone know how to get Excel to round up (regardless of the decimal
point value). Therefore 1.1 would round up to 2.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers Rexmann

PS I am running Excel 2002

Bob Phillips

Round up

=ROUNDUP(A1,0)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"rexmann" wrote in message
Hi all

Does anyone know how to get Excel to round up (regardless of the decimal
point value). Therefore 1.1 would round up to 2.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers Rexmann

PS I am running Excel 2002

CLR

Round up

=ROUNDUP(A1,0)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"rexmann" wrote in message
Hi all

Does anyone know how to get Excel to round up (regardless of the decimal
point value). Therefore 1.1 would round up to 2.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers Rexmann

PS I am running Excel 2002

tony h

Round up

I agree with the previous answers but just check it does what you want
with negatives.
I think roundup is a misnomer as it actually rounds-away-from-zero. so
roundup(-0.5,0) gives -1. I would expect from the name roundup that
-0.25 would go UP to 0 and -1.25 would go up to 1

regards

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

CLR

Round up

Very interesting Tony........you're right, of course. I never thought to
check that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"tony h" wrote:

I agree with the previous answers but just check it does what you want
with negatives.
I think roundup is a misnomer as it actually rounds-away-from-zero. so
roundup(-0.5,0) gives -1. I would expect from the name roundup that
-0.25 would go UP to 0 and -1.25 would go up to 1

regards

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532565

JE McGimpsey

Round up

Hmm... I've always thought of the "UP" in "ROUNDUP" as meaning
"increasing in magnitude", so ROUNDUP(-0.5, 0) should naturally increase
in magnitude to -1.

Never occurred to me that "up" would be thought of as a linear,
toward-more-positive, metaphor.

Using that metaphor would require, I would think, changing the ROUND()
function, too, since ROUND() rounds away from zero

Interesting...

In article ,
tony h wrote:

I agree with the previous answers but just check it does what you want
with negatives.
I think roundup is a misnomer as it actually rounds-away-from-zero. so
roundup(-0.5,0) gives -1. I would expect from the name roundup that
-0.25 would go UP to 0 and -1.25 would go up to 1

CLR

Round up

EGADS!!!......ROUNDDOWN acts that way too!

Just shows how often I use them like that and how much attention I don't pay.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"tony h" wrote:

I agree with the previous answers but just check it does what you want
with negatives.
I think roundup is a misnomer as it actually rounds-away-from-zero. so
roundup(-0.5,0) gives -1. I would expect from the name roundup that
-0.25 would go UP to 0 and -1.25 would go up to 1

regards

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532565

rexmann

Round up

Hi all

Thanks for the responses, the roundup function worked a treat (although I
feel a bit of a plonker for not guessing it, doh!!!)

Also, cheers Tony for the bit about negative numbers etc.. Although not
relevant in this case (as all positives) it's good to know for future
spreadsheets (avoiding pitfalls).

Cheers again,

Rexmann