-   -   Formatting a Phone Number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/81961-formatting-phone-number.html)

Formatting Phone Number

Formatting a Phone Number

I need my phone numbers in excel to look as follows (###) ###-####, does
anyone know how to make this happen? Thanks

CLR

Formatting a Phone Number

Right-click on the cell(s) you wish to format, then FormatCells NumberTab
Special PhoneNumber OK..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Formatting Phone Number" wrote:

I need my phone numbers in excel to look as follows (###) ###-####, does
anyone know how to make this happen? Thanks

deflated

Formatting a Phone Number

hi-lite the cells you want to format, then click on format, then "cells",
then on the "number" tab, then select "special", then Phone number

"Formatting Phone Number" wrote:

I need my phone numbers in excel to look as follows (###) ###-####, does
anyone know how to make this happen? Thanks

David McRitchie

Formatting a Phone Number

If they are already numbers then you can use
format, cells, special, phone numbers
which for English(US) would provide the equivalent
of a format, cells, custom
[<=9999999]###-####;(###) ###-####

Personally I would only enter phone numbers as text,
and because of where I live, I have to dial all digits
anyway I would use the custom format of
000-000-000

But if you really want to things right, I'd use text
entries then no matter what you type would be used and you
could include foreign phone numbers and/or additional codes or
extensions.

to format a text string you would have to use a macro or a
user defined function

If they are 10 digits of text, you could force them to a number within your formula
and format, the result would be a string.
=TEXT(A28 + 0, "\(000\) 000\-0000")