-   -   Can I auto hi-lite a cell if a certain phrase it typed? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/81955-can-i-auto-hi-lite-cell-if-certain-phrase-typed.html)

tjmcgee47

Can I auto hi-lite a cell if a certain phrase it typed?

I create my group's schedule with Excel. Is there any way that if I type a
particular word of abbreviation (i.e. PV for paid vacation) in a cell that it
will automatically highlight that cell? Want to be able to see at a glance
whether a person is in the office or off.

deflated

Can I auto hi-lite a cell if a certain phrase it typed?

click on "format", then "conditional format". in there you want to do "cell
value is equal to" and then enter "PV for paid vacation". then click on the
"format" button and go to "pattern" and pick your hilite color. do that on
the top cell you want to add that format to, then copy and paste it into the
other cells (if they're blank now). if there's already data in those cells,
do a paste special under "edit" and select "formats".

"tjmcgee47" wrote:

I create my group's schedule with Excel. Is there any way that if I type a
particular word of abbreviation (i.e. PV for paid vacation) in a cell that it
will automatically highlight that cell? Want to be able to see at a glance
whether a person is in the office or off.

Trevor Shuttleworth

Can I auto hi-lite a cell if a certain phrase it typed?

Depends how many things you want to highlight. You can use Conditional
Formatting to do this. If there are three things or less you could use a
simple comparison. If there are more, you could use a lookup table.

So simple answer is yes, you can do it. You'd need to provide more detail
about the conditions for more help.

Regards

Trevor