-   -   Import Text file into Excel and match up records (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/81910-import-text-file-into-excel-match-up-records.html)

Spanarkle

Import Text file into Excel and match up records

Hi, I would like to state that I am a novice and have basic to medium skills.
This is my problem: I am setting up an internet store front with about 3500
line items. My supplier had agreed to export on a daily basis his inventory
file with fixed values and ones that change on a dialy basis, in particular
the "available" quanitiy of each line. I have 5 suppliers like this and would
like to create a way to recieve their files on a daily basis, analize the
data for changes then upload the file to my live e-store front database on
the web.

Any suggestions??? thanks

deflated

Import Text file into Excel and match up records

i assume that there is a common field (ie: item #) for each item, yes?

"Spanarkle" wrote:

Hi, I would like to state that I am a novice and have basic to medium skills.
This is my problem: I am setting up an internet store front with about 3500
line items. My supplier had agreed to export on a daily basis his inventory
file with fixed values and ones that change on a dialy basis, in particular
the "available" quanitiy of each line. I have 5 suppliers like this and would
like to create a way to recieve their files on a daily basis, analize the
data for changes then upload the file to my live e-store front database on
the web.

Any suggestions??? thanks

Doug Kanter

"Spanarkle" wrote in message
Hi, I would like to state that I am a novice and have basic to medium
skills.
This is my problem: I am setting up an internet store front with about
3500
line items. My supplier had agreed to export on a daily basis his
inventory
file with fixed values and ones that change on a dialy basis, in
particular
the "available" quanitiy of each line. I have 5 suppliers like this and
would
like to create a way to recieve their files on a daily basis, analize the
data for changes then upload the file to my live e-store front database on
the web.

Any suggestions??? thanks

If it were my project, I'd be doing two things:

- Spending a couple of hours picking out books at Barnes & Noble
- Considering using a database like Access instead of Excel, because there
are reasons why a database may do a better job, especially when it comes to
updating items which already exist.