-   -   Calculating % of different measures taken (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/81866-calculating-%25-different-measures-taken.html)

Goran

Calculating % of different measures taken

Hi,

I have 6 values in 6 cells : B ( 2=4.2 ;3=5.2;4=6.3 ) G (
2=5.3;3=6.3;4=7.45).
In cells C 2,3,4 and H 2,3,4 I have to calculate a procentage using cell B2
as a refference. B2 = 100 %
I have been given a formula ( =cell with minimum time/absolute value of the
cell)
which I have treid using but its not working for some uknown reason.
Can you PLEASE help.
Cheers
Goran

A S-D

Calculating % of different measures taken

You have to calculate a percentage of what?

To calculate G2:G4 as a percentage of B2:

=SUM((Gx/$B$2)*100)

Where x is the cell you wish to have the percentage of B2 of.

--
A S-D
A S-D's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33227

David Biddulph

Calculating % of different measures taken

"A S-D" wrote in
message ...

You have to calculate a percentage of what?

To calculate G2:G4 as a percentage of B2:

=SUM((Gx/$B$2)*100)

Where x is the cell you wish to have the percentage of B2 of.

Two points:
Firstly why have you used SUM()? In what way do you think that is different
from ((Gx/$B$2)*100)? [Hint: look at Excel help for the SUM function.]
Secondly, why bother multiplying by 100? Can't you just format the answer
as a percentage?
--
David Biddulph

A S-D

Calculating % of different measures taken

I gave an answer that would give the response I thought he wanted.

My methods might not be perfect. I'm not an expert in Excel, but I
wanted to help to repay for the help that was given to me.

I did it the way I would do it - formatting as a percentage seems
unneccessary to me!

As for the SUM() usage.. I can't explain that. It's just what I do when
I type in a formula - it helps me to think in the right mind-set!

--
A S-D
A S-D's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33227
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=530474

A S-D

Calculating % of different measures taken

OK.

In cell D2, write =SUM((B2/$B$2)/100). Drag this down to D4, and across
to E4. This will give you the relative percentages of B2.

I've attached the sheet. Based upon the data you gave here.

I hope it helps.

Adam

|Filename: Example of percentages.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4601 |

A S-D
A S-D's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33227
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=530474

Goran

Calculating % of different measures taken

hey Adam,

I have just emailed you from my home email address with all the info I have
regading this isse of mine.
I couldnt open the attachment u sent me. it sas that the path is wrong.

Thanks again