-   -   Excel cannot save formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/81823-excel-cannot-save-formatting.html)

Gerry Bakker

Excel cannot save formatting

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that has a fair bit of conditional formatting in it,
but maybe not the most I have ever used. After updating and then saving the
file I get a message "Excel could not save all the data & formatting you
recently added to xyz.xls". I have the option to continue to save without
all the formatting applied or to cancel. The Help button gives me an empty
window. The file itself is only 700KB.
Can anyone advise me on this one?

thanks
--
Gerry Bakker

Dave Peterson

Excel cannot save formatting

It sounds like it's time to remove some of the formatting.

I've found that if I format complete columns all at once, excel doesn't see it
as 65536 different formats.

Maybe you can do something like that.