Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DanielG

Default Operations (add, multiply) on all values ($00.00) in a column?

Hello,

I have a file with a few columns with prices that are in this format -
$00.00 (with a point, not comma). Is it possible to quickly change all
values in a column, for example increasing all prices in a column with
4$ or a certain percentage. I tried with Paste Special, but it's not
working for some reason. I guess it's because Excel is not treating the
values in the $00.00 format as numbers. So is there any way to convert
the prices to numbers and then after doing Paste Special (with
add/multiply) to them to convert them back to the original format? I
have attached a sample file to show what I'm trying to do (in case my
explanations are not making much sense :), sorry for the bad english).
Hope someone can help me with this.

Thank you very much in advance.

|Filename: Prices.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4556 |

DanielG
DanielG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33056
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=528715

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

You might have imported these values so there might be leading and trailing
spaces html etc, insert a help column and assume the values start in A1 use

=4+TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),""))

as you can see I did the increase as well

copy down as long as needed, copy and paste special as values and format as
currency,
delete help column. If you do this regularly you can use

a macro that will clean the cells

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"DanielG" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DanielG

Thank you for the answer Peo. You are right that the file is imported so
the problem is that after I change the values and convert them to
currency, they are no longer in their original format and cannot be
imported. Is their any way to convert the currency format - $00,00
(with a comma) right-aligned - to the original format - $00.00 (with a
point) left-align, which I believe is text?