-   -   adding only positive numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/803-adding-only-positive-numbers.html)

Jacob

adding only positive numbers

I created an ammoritization schedule for mortgage loans.

I have the following columns:

A B C D
E F
Month Principal Balance Payment Interest
Principal Outstanding Balance

There are 360 months (and thus, 360 rows below the above row) and I SUM
columns C, D, E, respectively.
The problem is, if I create a table of only 240 months or 200 months, it
will insert ( ) for everything past this new month (i.e., I zero out at 240
mos, but the table continues on to 360, adding all the negative numbers for
241-360), and give me a skewed total. How can I get it to only SUM the
positive numbers, or better yet, don't display anything past the chosen
term?

Thank-you, and please let me know if any other information is needed.

Jacob

Paul B

Jacob, one way, use sumif, like this =SUMIF(A:A,"0")

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Jacob" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Peterson

maybe you could adjust your formula to look for a negative:

=if(somecalculation<=0,"",somecalculation)

I kind of like the way Microsoft did it in their template. You can find lots
at:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...317261033.aspx

And just look at all that's available:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...s/default.aspx