Thanks

Dave Peterson

Two questions:

#1. Does each line of your CSV file end with a carriage return/line feed?
(If I get a file FTPed from a UNIX box, I have to add those linefeeds.)

#2. Does the delimiter in your CSV file match the character under:
Windows start button|settings|control panel|regional settings applet|
Number Tab|list character?

hbarniv wrote:

I use Excel XP and when try to open a .csv file, get a message:"File not
loaded completely". I click OK and get one long row of data. Anyone knows
why?

ALso, when importing the .csv file to Excel, the columns get shifted and in
one field I get | instead of comma. Any ideas?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I add the Carriage returns (hex-13), not LF's.

When I convert these stuff, I use a freeware/shareware program called Unix2DOS.
You could find a bunch by searching http://www.shareware.com (or even google).

UNIX lines end with hex-10.
DOS/Windows lines end with hex-13, hex-10.

Two questions:

#1. Does each line of your CSV file end with a carriage return/line feed?
(If I get a file FTPed from a UNIX box, I have to add those linefeeds.)

#2. Does the delimiter in your CSV file match the character under:

hbarniv wrote:

I use Excel XP and when try to open a .csv file, get a message:"File not
loaded completely". I click OK and get one long row of data. Anyone knows
why?

ALso, when importing the .csv file to Excel, the columns get shifted and in
one field I get | instead of comma. Any ideas?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

hbarniv

Thank you Dave for replying.

I get the file from an NT box and not sure how lines end. Is there a way to
find out?
Do you know why Excel returns the error message "File not loaded completely"?
The delimiter is comma, which is standard

Regards

Two questions:

#1. Does each line of your CSV file end with a carriage return/line feed?
(If I get a file FTPed from a UNIX box, I have to add those linefeeds.)

#2. Does the delimiter in your CSV file match the character under:

hbarniv wrote:

I use Excel XP and when try to open a .csv file, get a message:"File not
loaded completely". I click OK and get one long row of data. Anyone knows
why?

ALso, when importing the .csv file to Excel, the columns get shifted and in
one field I get | instead of comma. Any ideas?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

The "file not loaded completely" means either you have too many rows (65536) or
too many columns (256).

My favorite text editor is called UltraEdit32. (http://www.ultraedit.com)

It has an option to look at the data in hex mode. I think there's a try before
you buy with UE, but if you can find any geeky kind of co-worker, he (those
geeks are always he's!) has a favorite text editor that you can use.

If the number of rows is too large, you can use your favorite text editor to
split it into multiple pieces and import each piece/file into a separate
workbook.

hbarniv wrote:

Thank you Dave for replying.

I get the file from an NT box and not sure how lines end. Is there a way to
find out?
Do you know why Excel returns the error message "File not loaded completely"?
The delimiter is comma, which is standard

Regards

Two questions: