-   -   What is a macro? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/78011-what-macro.html)

Bren

What is a macro?

I have just discovered the coolness of excel. I was just wondering what a
macro is and why it's good to use.

Chip Pearson

What is a macro?

A macro is a programmed procedure written in Visual Basic For
Applications (VBA). One uses macros to automate repetitive or
long sequences of operations. Thus, rather than carrying out a
long series of steps manually, you can call upon the macro to
perform the steps automatically.

To start with VBA, go to the Tools menu, choose Macro, then
Record. Carry out a series of actions. Then, stop recording.
Press ALT+F11 to open the VBA Editor. There, open Module1, and
examine the VBA code that was generated by the Macro Recorder.
The code isn't very efficient, but can give you a good idea of
what VBA and macros are all about.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson