-   -   Can't Format Date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/77445-cant-format-date.html)

bbsan

Can't Format Date

I select a column, FORMAT CELLS/DATE
Select mm/dd/yy
When I type in 031506 I get 040486

Transition Formula Entry is UNCHECKED

I've tried all the DATE and CUSTOM options.

Thank you
--
bb

Niek Otten

Can't Format Date

Type 3/15/06

31506 is the date sequence number; the number of days since 1/1/1900

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"bbsan" wrote in message ...
I select a column, FORMAT CELLS/DATE
Select mm/dd/yy
When I type in 031506 I get 040486

Transition Formula Entry is UNCHECKED

I've tried all the DATE and CUSTOM options.

Thank you
--
bb

bbsan

Can't Format Date

hmm

Then what's the purpose of the FORMAT CELLS/DATE option?

I'm trying to set the format so I don't have to type the /, just the numbers
031506 and have the formatted cell render the numbers in date format.

--
bb

"bbsan" wrote in message ...
I select a column, FORMAT CELLS/DATE
Select mm/dd/yy
When I type in 031506 I get 040486

Transition Formula Entry is UNCHECKED

I've tried all the DATE and CUSTOM options.

Thank you
--
bb

Niek Otten

Can't Format Date

The purpose is to show a date in a certain format, not to enter it like that.
Look he

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

--
Kind regards,