-   -   enter 5 in 1 cell, show first 3 in other cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/77200-enter-5-1-cell-show-first-3-other-cell.html)

JcR

enter 5 in 1 cell, show first 3 in other cell

I want to be able to:

enter a 5 digit number into in cell a1

have the first 3 digits appear in cell a2

Thanks

Ryan Jones

enter 5 in 1 cell, show first 3 in other cell

A round about way would be to have it multiply by .01 and then either
convert it to a integer or just have it not show decimals

"JcR" wrote in message
I want to be able to:

enter a 5 digit number into in cell a1

have the first 3 digits appear in cell a2

Thanks

JcR

enter 5 in 1 cell, show first 3 in other cell

Ryan,

Thanks, good thought but not applicable.

I would be entering a 5 digit zipcode in cell a1, and want the first three
digits
to appear in cell a2

Let me know if you can think of anything.

"JcR" wrote in message
I want to be able to:

enter a 5 digit number into in cell a1

have the first 3 digits appear in cell a2

Thanks

Ryan Jones

enter 5 in 1 cell, show first 3 in other cell

=INT(A1*0.01)
This makes value in a1 go into cell with only first 3

"JcR" wrote in message
I want to be able to:

enter a 5 digit number into in cell a1

have the first 3 digits appear in cell a2

Thanks

David Biddulph

"JcR" wrote in message
I want to be able to:

enter a 5 digit number into in cell a1

have the first 3 digits appear in cell a2

=LEFT(A1,3)
--
David Biddulph