-   -   logical formulas in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/77112-logical-formulas-excel.html)

c.welch

logical formulas in excel

What I'd like to do is create a set of conditional statements. If the cell
a1="cat", then the number in a2*.25. If the cell a1="dog", then the number
in a2*.75. A1 will always say dog or cat. The then part of the statement
changes based on the text. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
Thanks.

paul

logical formulas in excel

youve aready cracked it.If cell a1 will only ever have cat or dog all you
need is
+if(A1="Cat",A2*.25,A2*.75).Type this in A3(or any other cell excpet a1 or a2
This test is not case sensitive
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"c.welch" wrote:

What I'd like to do is create a set of conditional statements. If the cell
a1="cat", then the number in a2*.25. If the cell a1="dog", then the number
in a2*.75. A1 will always say dog or cat. The then part of the statement
changes based on the text. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
Thanks.

Ardus Petus

logical formulas in excel

In A2, type:
IF(A1="cat",.25,.75)

HTH
--
AP

"c.welch" wrote:

What I'd like to do is create a set of conditional statements. If the cell
a1="cat", then the number in a2*.25. If the cell a1="dog", then the number
in a2*.75. A1 will always say dog or cat. The then part of the statement
changes based on the text. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
Thanks.

Thanks for your quick response Paul!