-   -   data validation and drop down lists (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/77078-data-validation-drop-down-lists.html)

LewR

data validation and drop down lists

All: I have problem with getting a drop down list to work.

In cell A1 I have a Data Validation list that refers to a named range
"directions". "directions has 5 rows, row 1 is blank, row 2 "north",
row 3 "south" row 4 "east" and row 5 "west"

in cell B1 I have another data validation list that uses the following:
"INDIRECT(A1)", which will only select the values in the named range of
either "north", "south", "east', or "west"

what I want to do is have cell B1 refer to a named range "other" if row
1 (blank entry) is selected in cell A1, and refer to the other named
ranges if their direction is chosen. Any sugestions?

--
LewR
LewR's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32420

Biff

data validation and drop down lists

Hi!

Use this as the source:

=INDIRECT(IF(A1="","other",A1))

Biff

"LewR" wrote in message

All: I have problem with getting a drop down list to work.

In cell A1 I have a Data Validation list that refers to a named range
"directions". "directions has 5 rows, row 1 is blank, row 2 "north",
row 3 "south" row 4 "east" and row 5 "west"

in cell B1 I have another data validation list that uses the following:
"INDIRECT(A1)", which will only select the values in the named range of
either "north", "south", "east', or "west"

what I want to do is have cell B1 refer to a named range "other" if row
1 (blank entry) is selected in cell A1, and refer to the other named
ranges if their direction is chosen. Any sugestions?

--
LewR
LewR's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522058

LewR

data validation and drop down lists

Thanks, I knew that it would be a simple solution, but I am just
learning rxcel and some times the simole things are the hardest.

--
LewR
LewR's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32420
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522058