-   -   date in Excel displays incorrectly when merged in letter (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/77011-date-excel-displays-incorrectly-when-merged-letter.html)

Feather 52

date in Excel displays incorrectly when merged in letter

We are trying to mail merge from Excel. One of the fields we want to use is
a date field. In Excel, the date displays correctly in the cell (i.e.
September 1, 2001); but in the function bar at the top of the page, it
display 9/1/2001). So, when it merges, it has the 9/1/2001 on the letter.
How do we get it to display correctly in mail merge? We've tried the Custom
feature from the category list.

Paul Lautman

Feather 52 wrote:
We are trying to mail merge from Excel. One of the fields we want to
use is a date field. In Excel, the date displays correctly in the
cell (i.e. September 1, 2001); but in the function bar at the top of
the page, it display 9/1/2001). So, when it merges, it has the
9/1/2001 on the letter. How do we get it to display correctly in mail
merge? We've tried the Custom feature from the category list.

You need to put some date formatting codes in the merge field.

\@ "MMMM, d yyyy"

should do it.