-   -   How do I save formatted cells in excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/76581-how-do-i-save-formatted-cells-excel.html)

JayBird

How do I save formatted cells in excel?

I change the formatting for a cell to "Text" type in "+H" Save the file
abc.csv When I open the file the cell changes to "#NAME?" and the formatting
changes to general. how do I keep the formatting as text?

Doug Kanter

"JayBird" wrote in message
I change the formatting for a cell to "Text" type in "+H" Save the file
abc.csv When I open the file the cell changes to "#NAME?" and the
formatting
changes to general. how do I keep the formatting as text?

Most formatting cannot be saved in csv files - they're nothing but text. If
you need to save formats, you have to save the file in Excel format. File,
Save As, change file type to Excel, and you'll see the file extension change
from csv to xls.