-   -   Read only Excel Program (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/76570-read-only-excel-program.html)

Casual

Read only Excel Program

Hi

I was wondering if Microsoft offers a read only version of Excel. I
occasional receive files in this format but cannot open them. Is there any
read only program available for download.

Thanks Casual

Dave Peterson

Read only Excel Program

The free viewer (no changes allowed) from Microsoft:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/of...347961033.aspx

and the older version if they can't run the one above:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/xlViewer.exe
(One line in your browser)

or...

Maybe a free spreadsheet program would work:
http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

--

Dave Peterson

Mike Middleton

Read only Excel Program

Casual -

Excel can open "Read-only" Excel workbook XLS files.

You can check this for yourself. In Windows Explorer, right-click an XLS
file, select Properties, and check the Attributes box for "Read-only." Click
Apply and OK. Then launch Excel, and use Excel's File Open command to load
the file.

There is some other reason that you cannot open the file you receive.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

"Casual" wrote in message
Hi

I was wondering if Microsoft offers a read only version of Excel. I
occasional receive files in this format but cannot open them. Is there any
read only program available for download.

Thanks Casual

Dave Peterson

Read only Excel Program

After reading Mike's response, I was wondering...

Do you own excel and were wondering if you can open files marked as readonly?
If yes, then see Mike's response.

Or do you not own excel and just want to view that .xls file? (I answered this
question--whether or not you asked ir!)