-   -   Creating an Alert Box (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/75949-creating-alert-box.html)

Paul987

Creating an Alert Box

I would like to create an Alert box that would pup up when a specific
event occurs. For instance if cell A2 1 , then a box would pop up,
and state "a2 1" and require acknowledgement. Maybe even ding until
click off. Is this possible? I would like to do it w/o VBA so it can
be more flexible and can be created easier by an end user. Any
advice?
TIA
Paul

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850

Bob Phillips

Creating an Alert Box

Use Data Validation with either a number <= 1 or a custom formula of

=A2<=1

No ding though.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Paul987" wrote in
message ...

I would like to create an Alert box that would pup up when a specific
event occurs. For instance if cell A2 1 , then a box would pop up,
and state "a2 1" and require acknowledgement. Maybe even ding until
click off. Is this possible? I would like to do it w/o VBA so it can
be more flexible and can be created easier by an end user. Any
advice?
TIA
Paul

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520206

Paul987

Creating an Alert Box

Thanks, Bob. I didn't even know that feature existed. It's people like
you that keep this site running!

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520206

Paul987

Creating an Alert Box

New problem. The cell I was going to use the data validation on is real
time data. Therefore, the user isn't entering a value into the cell,
it's changing automatically and the validation doesn't work. Any
ideas?

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520206

Bob Phillips

Creating an Alert Box

Here's another idea Paul.

Link a cell to the cell that gets update via the feed, with a simple =H10
say.

Add this code, which should trigger when the linked cell, A1 in my example,
goes below 1

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:H10"
Static oldvalue

If Me.Range(WS_RANGE) < oldvalue Then
If Me.Range(WS_RANGE).Value <= 1 Then
MsgBox "Alert"
oldvalue = Me.Range(WS_RANGE).Value

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Paul987" wrote in
message ...

New problem. The cell I was going to use the data validation on is real
time data. Therefore, the user isn't entering a value into the cell,
it's changing automatically and the validation doesn't work. Any
ideas?

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520206

Paul987

Creating an Alert Box

Bob - Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I'm not sure the macro will
work because the data will be constantly changing, several times a
second, and the macro will only run on command or a time loop of some
sort. Is this correct? Thanks for the help.

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520206

Paul987

Creating an Alert Box

one more question: How do I stop it, so I can modify the code?