-   -   combine cells under a common heading (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/75912-combine-cells-under-common-heading.html)

Xhawk57

combine cells under a common heading

I have a list of names and addresses but if two people live at the same
address they are listed separately. Is there a way to combine cells in which
the cell to right is the same.

example: [ John Smith] [123 Maple Ln]
[ Jane Smith] [123 Maple Ln]

becomes: [John Smith [123 Maple Ln]
Jane Smith ]

any help would be greatly apprecitated.

ewan7279

combine cells under a common heading

Hi,

You can do this by using a helper column next to the address columns, then
hiding the column containing the addresses.

If the first address is in B2, enter into C2:

=IF(B2=B1,"",B2)

This will return a blank value if the address above the one being tested is
the same, or the address if it is not. Drag this formula down the entire
list of addresses then hide the address column.

Is this what you were after?

Ewan.

"Xhawk57" wrote:

I have a list of names and addresses but if two people live at the same
address they are listed separately. Is there a way to combine cells in which
the cell to right is the same.

example: [ John Smith] [123 Maple Ln]
[ Jane Smith] [123 Maple Ln]

becomes: [John Smith [123 Maple Ln]
Jane Smith ]

any help would be greatly apprecitated.

Xhawk57

combine cells under a common heading

I am actually hoping to combine the two names in one cell separated by
alt+enter

so that if: John Smith is in cell A1 and 123 Maple Ln is in cell B1
and Jane Smith is in cell A2 and 123 Maple Ln is in cell B2

i am looking for a formula or series of formulas that will put

: John Smith <alt+enter
Jane Smith in cell A1 (or C1 if nessesary) and
leave 123 Maple ln in cell B1(or D2) while deleting it (or not including it)
in row 2

Help?!