-   -   How to determine following function in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/75345-how-determine-following-function-excel.html)

Eric

How to determine following function in Excel?

I would like to set following conditions in Excel, but find it difficult on
coding.
Could anyone give me any suggestion please?

Under A Colume, there are a list of numbers
Profit
100
101
-50
-60
50
-50
-20
-10
80

Under Colume B, I would like to determine the maximum consecutive loss from
Colume A, in this case, it should return -50-60 = -110

Does anyone have any suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Eric

Gary''s Student

How to determine following function in Excel?

Hi Eric:

In B2 enter =A1+A2
and copy B2 down thru B9. You should see:

100
101 201
-50 51
-60 -110
50 -10
-50 0
-20 -70
-10 -30
80 70

In an un-used cell enter =MIN(B2:B9)
--
Gary's Student

"Eric" wrote:

I would like to set following conditions in Excel, but find it difficult on
coding.
Could anyone give me any suggestion please?

Under A Colume, there are a list of numbers
Profit
100
101
-50
-60
50
-50
-20
-10
80

Under Colume B, I would like to determine the maximum consecutive loss from
Colume A, in this case, it should return -50-60 = -110

Does anyone have any suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Eric

Bernard Liengme

How to determine following function in Excel?

Try =MIN(A1:A8+A2:A9) which must be entered as an array formula using
SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

The formula will appear like this in Formula Bar: {=MIN(A1:A8+A2:A9)}
Of course, you can change ranges to fit you need: A1:A99+A2:A100
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Eric" wrote in message
I would like to set following conditions in Excel, but find it difficult on
coding.
Could anyone give me any suggestion please?

Under A Colume, there are a list of numbers
Profit
100
101
-50
-60
50
-50
-20
-10
80

Under Colume B, I would like to determine the maximum consecutive loss
from
Colume A, in this case, it should return -50-60 = -110

Does anyone have any suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Eric

[email protected]

"Eric" wrote:
Under A Colume, there are a list of numbers
Profit
100
101
-50
-60
50
-50
-20
-10
80
Under Colume B, I would like to determine the maximum
consecutive loss from Colume A, in this case, it should
return -50-60 = -110

Clarification needed ....

For the 3 rows starting in the 4th row from the end, do
you want -50-20-10 = -80? And you would want that
to be the "maximum consecutive loss" if -60 were -20
in the 4th row (so that -50-20 = -70, not -110), right?

In other words, you are not just interested in pairwise
"consecutive" losses, but consecutive loss sequences of
any length. Is that right?

Eric

How to determine following function in Excel?

Thank everyone for suggestion
Yes, I am interested on the consecutive loss sequences of any length, and
return the highest loss for the result.
Thank you
Eric

" wrote:

"Eric" wrote:
[...]

Tom Ogilvy

How to determine following function in Excel?

in B2
=IF(ROW()=2,IF(SIGN(A1)<SIGN(A2),A2,A1+A2),IF(SIG N(A1)<SIGN(A2),A2,A2+B1))

Then select b2 and drag down the column

in C1
=min(B:B)

Tom Ogilvy