-   -   Excel Security?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/75044-excel-security.html)

Chris Watson

Excel Security??

I make a Time sheet templae with all the formulas and I use at work, It
dose everything I want, buy yesterday at work one of the lads asked if
they could have a copy for there laptop, no problem except even though
I protected the worksheets when I put it on his laptop all the dates
came out as ****** and all the cells were open. I found out that his
laptops language was set at United States which caused the ****** on
the date cells but I can't understand why the cells are open. When I
checked the protection its still protected. Im not sure what version of
excel he has but could this make a differance, the timesheet I put
together was with excel 2003.

--
Chris Watson
Chris Watson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4700

Dave Peterson

Excel Security??

I've never seen cells change from locked to unlocked or vice versa.

But if you really saw #######'s (not ******'s), then it could be because you
used your system's default date format to show the date.

When your co-worker opened the file, the date was displayed as his default
format.

So if you use dd/mm/yy and he uses mm/dd/yyyy, then the column won't be wide
enough to see it all--so excel shows the ######.

The dates will be the same--it's just a display problem.

You could widen the column, use a smaller font
or format|cells|alignment tab|shrink to fit??
or use a non-standard date format--so that the system default isn't used.

(You may have to unprotect the worksheet to change some of this.)