-   -   How do I refer to a 'formula' instead of the result of that formu (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/75014-how-do-i-refer-formula-instead-result-formu.html)

MES

How do I refer to a 'formula' instead of the result of that formu

I am trying to use a cell reference in one worksheet to a formula in another
worksheet, and want to use the formula itself instead of the result of that
formula, can anyone advise me how to do this?

Chris Marlow

How do I refer to a 'formula' instead of the result of that formu

Hi,

I don't know if there is an existing Excel worksheet function to do this,
but the following VBA will;

Public Function ReturnFormula(Target As Range) As String

ReturnFormula = Target.Cells(1, 1).Formula

End Function

Regards,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow
MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

"MES" wrote:

I am trying to use a cell reference in one worksheet to a formula in another
worksheet, and want to use the formula itself instead of the result of that
formula, can anyone advise me how to do this?

fasta13

How do I refer to a 'formula' instead of the result of that fo

This just returns the formula as a text, is there a way that it will
calculate the function instead of showing the contents?

"MES" wrote:

I am trying to use a cell reference in one worksheet to a formula in another
worksheet, and want to use the formula itself instead of the result of that
formula, can anyone advise me how to do this?

Gord Dibben

How do I refer to a 'formula' instead of the result of that fo

It is not clear to me what you want to do.

Can you post a formula and desribe what you want to do with it?

Maybe this UDF?

Function EvalCell(RefCell As String)
Application.Volatile
EvalCell = Evaluate(RefCell)
End Function

=evalcell(cellref)

Which does nothing more than return the value from the formula in cellref.

Just as easy to enter =cellref

Evalcell function is handy to return a value from a string such as

1+2+3

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP