-   -   Stop date conversion in Excel when pasting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/74523-stop-date-conversion-excel-when-pasting.html)

Stephanie

Stop date conversion in Excel when pasting

When you type in 5/2, I know Excell will automatically convert it to 02-May.
I know I can change the formatting of the cell, up to even using a mask. How
do I get content I paste (i.e. from a site displaying data in a grid format),
to NOT convert fractions to dates? Changing the content of the data from a
website is not an option.

Max

Stop date conversion in Excel when pasting

Perhaps try pre-formatting the cell(s) / col as Text before copy pasting
(via: Format Cells Number tab Text OK)
--
Max
Singapore
"Stephanie" wrote in message
When you type in 5/2, I know Excell will automatically convert it to

02-May.
I know I can change the formatting of the cell, up to even using a mask.

How
do I get content I paste (i.e. from a site displaying data in a grid

format),
to NOT convert fractions to dates? Changing the content of the data from

website is not an option.

Stephanie

Stop date conversion in Excel when pasting

Pre-formatting the cells did not work. I had tried that. I guess the
"pasting" overrides the cell format.

"Stephanie" wrote in message
When you type in 5/2, I know Excell will automatically convert it to

02-May.
I know I can change the formatting of the cell, up to even using a mask.

How
do I get content I paste (i.e. from a site displaying data in a grid

format),
to NOT convert fractions to dates? Changing the content of the data from

website is not an option.

Max

Stop date conversion in Excel when pasting

"Stephanie" wrote
Pre-formatting the cells did not work. I had tried that.
I guess the "pasting" overrides the cell format.

How about paste special text ?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

amdaman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 251748)
How about paste special text ?
---

Very inconvenient, as it also gets rid of all other formatting, tabs in particular -- which is one of the big advantages if pasting into Excel.

Is there any way of just preventing the date formatting? MS can't be that stupid.