-   -   Help! All results of my formula are the same! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/74442-help-all-results-my-formula-same.html)

ziak

Help! All results of my formula are the same!

When I copy my fx down, the answers I get are the same as the cell where I
initially wrote the formula (the formula changes to match the correct cells,
but the result stays the same). If I re-type the formula, I get the correct
answer, but it does not work when I copy the formula down.

For example:

A B C
1 2 2 =A1*B1 (result of fx is 4)
2 2 3 =A2*B2 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied down
3 2 4 =A3*B3 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied down
4 2 5 =A4*B4 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied down

If I was to re-type the formula in C2, I get "6," which is the correct
answer. Any clue on what's going on?

Chip Pearson

Help! All results of my formula are the same!

Ensure that calculation is set to automatic. Go to the Tools
menu, choose Options, then the Calculation tab. Select Automatic.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ziak" wrote in message
When I copy my fx down, the answers I get are the same as the
cell where I
initially wrote the formula (the formula changes to match the
correct cells,
but the result stays the same). If I re-type the formula, I
get the correct
answer, but it does not work when I copy the formula down.

For example:

A B C
1 2 2 =A1*B1 (result of fx is 4)
2 2 3 =A2*B2 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied
down
3 2 4 =A3*B3 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied
down
4 2 5 =A4*B4 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied
down

If I was to re-type the formula in C2, I get "6," which is the
correct
answer. Any clue on what's going on?

CLR

Help! All results of my formula are the same!

It sounds like you used Dollar Signs in the top formula....remove them and
then copy down again..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"ziak" wrote:

When I copy my fx down, the answers I get are the same as the cell where I
initially wrote the formula (the formula changes to match the correct cells,
but the result stays the same). If I re-type the formula, I get the correct
answer, but it does not work when I copy the formula down.

For example:

A B C
1 2 2 =A1*B1 (result of fx is 4)
2 2 3 =A2*B2 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied down
3 2 4 =A3*B3 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied down
4 2 5 =A4*B4 (result of fx is 4) - formula is copied down

If I was to re-type the formula in C2, I get "6," which is the correct
answer. Any clue on what's going on?

Elkar

Help! All results of my formula are the same!

Sounds like Automatic Calculations have been turned off.

Tools -- Options -- Calculation Tab -- Check box "Automatic"

HTH,
Elkar